Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday

Early this morning I was woken up by the police.  Luckily for me it wasn't me that they were talking to.  It was that homeless woman I talked about yesterday.

They told her that she could either leave or they would arrest her for trespassing.  She chose to leave instead.  It is too bad they didn't come early in the night when it was much colder and they could have brought her to a shelter.

I was really scared that I was next.  But if they noticed me at all, they just left me alone.  I would think that someone complained that she was there.  There are people in and out of that building at all hours, day and night. That is why I never go over there.  I can see it, but I don't go on the property for any reason.  I always figured I was asking for trouble by going over there.

You see people are only sympathetic to the homeless that they don't see.  Just imagine if a homeless person set up camp near your home.  You wouldn't like it, would you?  You would wonder if they were dangerous or were they going to steal from you.  It is a reasonable thing to think.  Obviously they are broke.

The really strangest thing was that someone dropped her off there in the middle of the night.  Isn't that strange to you?  She found a stranger (I assume anyway, since she has asked me for rides) to drop her off in the middle of the night.  I suppose it is nice that they did it, since she carries around a great deal of stuff.  But you just drop off a homeless woman alone in an empty parking lot in the middle of night and drive off back to your life?

I only started her seeing her on a regular basis in the past couple of weeks.  I had seen her once before on the bus months ago, but going to the opposite direction of where she was this morning.  I am thinking she finds a warm and safe place to stay during the day and then just sleeps somewhere near there.  People complain then she just finds the next place to go to.

Which is a little of what I have done, but I move around just because of this reason.  I have found that people won't say too much if you are not there on a daily basis.  If they see you once a week or once a month they will leave you alone.  Except for the person who called the police this morning.  Or maybe she has been there many times and I don't know about it.  Which of course is possible.

I won't be staying in the same place tonight.  Better safe than sorry.  I was given a phone number for a lawyer who will help with homeless people and their rights.  Yes, there are such people.  I should call them and ask if they had the right to threaten to arrest her today.  But, it isn't really my business, so maybe I should just mind my own.

Like I said, I am very short on money this month with this being our slowest month of the year at work, so there is nothing that I can do to help her.  I don't have an extra fleece lined hat or another pair of boots.  I keep almost everything of any value and what I don't use in my storage locker so I don't have to worry about it being stolen.

Well, say a little prayer for that woman tonight that she has a safe place to sleep.  They don't seem to want her around here.  She is much more obviously homeless than I am.  A major sin.  If you are going to be homeless, do your best not to look it.  Once people know you are homeless, you are basically human trash. I put my make up on everyday, I always have on clean clothes, and I wash my body everyday.  So I am presentable to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment