Saturday, January 21, 2012

Saturday

I didn't realize I have been gone so long.  Time flies.

I survived my first homeless snow and ice storm.  Luckily it was not so bad.  The temperature when I woke up was just under 30 so I was able to sleep pretty well.  My feet were a little cold when I woke up, but outside of that I was fine.  Tonight will be much trickier.  It is due to go down to the mid twenties.  If, and only if, you can fall asleep very quickly and you are properly dressed, you will sleep for at least a few hours.  But falling asleep quickly is not so easy.  You are not exactly comfortable in a car.  Since I have to work tonight, I can't get to a shelter in a timely fashion and I am on my own.  If I have to, I will grab a book and cup of tea in an all night diner and then try to sleep tomorrow during the day.  I have a place I can go to, but it doesn't open until later in the day, but there is nothing else I can do.  I am going to see a very late movie so when I am done I will be really tired.

I have come across another new homeless person.  She seems to be like me.  She has on very nice clothes, has a computer and phone (much fancier than mine).  I don't know her story and I probably never will, but she sleeps in very public places.  Much more brazen about it than I have been.  I, at least, try to subtle about it all.  There are also two other women both of Asian descent that I see all the time.  I think both are homeless as well.  One sleeps in a very public place, the other I just run into some mornings using this public restroom.  It isn't that, but how she washes herself up in the restroom that is a little off and makes me think that she is homeless too.  I guess I am getting a radar for the homeless around me in a way I have never had in the past.

Work has been terrible lately.  I won't be a bit surprised if I lose this job completely.  The sales are next to nothing.  I am hoping that since today is Saturday, I will have a decent day, but I am not holding my breath.  I don't remember it being this bad in January in the past.  I hope that I am wrong, and this is just the normal ebb and flow of the sales.

Oh, I guess I should give an update on my feet.  They are better.  I can tell that already.  The skin is peeling off them badly, but I think (I could easily be wrong) that is a sign of health.  The skin that was damaged is going away and fresher skin will replace it.  I have not allowed them to stay wet since this has all happened.  I change my socks at least twice every day, I use a great deal of powder in my socks to help absorb any moisture.  I am keeping my boot wearing down, and trying to wear my sneakers and another pair of boots that are not lined as often as possible.

I am just very grateful that Mr/Ms Deekaman told me about the problem, otherwise I think it could have been much  worse, so thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment