Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday

My least favorite day of the week is here again. 

If you do any sort of research on the homeless population you will find that many of them are mentally ill.  I have been thinking that this may be a chicken or the egg kind of thing. 

One of the hardest things about being homeless is the lack of privacy.  The only privacy I have at all anymore is when I am in a public restroom in a stall.  Some of them are really tight and you can barely turn around in there.  Everything that I do is done in public.  In many cases I change my clothes in the car.  It sometimes just easier (I have gotten very good about changing my clothes discreetly) to do that than put your stuff in a bag and find a restroom that is not overly busy to change your clothes.  This is the reason that you sometimes see homeless people doing things they probably shouldn't be doing in public. 

Think about that for a second.  You have zero privacy.  Everything that you do is out in the open for all people to see or to hear.  Do the homeless start out like me and end up mentally ill, or are they homeless because they are mentally ill?  It is just something that I have been thinking about lately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment